"And to this purpose"

"If people like to read their books, it is all very well, but to be at so much trouble in filling great volumes, which, as I used to think, nobody would willingly ever look into, to be labouring only for the torment of little boys and girls, always struck me as a hard fate; and though I know it is all very right and necessary, I have often wondered at the person's courage that could sit down on purpose to do it." (In other words: rambling analyses, opinions, ideas, views, and comments from an English major, Essay/paper-writing enthusiastic, Austen-loving Master Librarian on, well, Jane Austen...and a whole lot of other things, too.)

"Celebrated Passages are Quoted"

Heidi's favorite quotes


"What is it really like to be engaged?" asked Anne curiously. "Well, that all depends on who you're engaged to," answered Diana, with that maddening air of superior wisdom always assumed by those who are engaged over those who are not."— L.M. Montgomery

Friday, June 3, 2011

May Book Challenges


I balanced my Books and Blu-Ray much better this month. Enough so that this was my 2nd "most" month so far--2nd most # of books, 2nd most of pages, and 2nd most # of points. I think it made a difference that I came across some excellent reads this month. I've put an * among those I think others would find something of substance or great entertainment, and ** for those I very highly recommend. Here you go!

May Book Challenges

Read a book with a green cover           
1. Pippi Longstocking by Astrid Lindgren
2. Entwined by Heather Dixon **
3. Three Rivers Rising by Jame Richards *
4. The Best Bad Luck I Ever Had by Kristin Levine **
5. Forbidden Sea by Sheila Nielson *
6. Michael Forman's Wonderful Wizard of Oz by L. Frank Baum
7. Spirited by Nancy Holder
8. No Talking by Andrew Clements

Read two Nonfiction
1. A Secret Gift by Ted Gup *
2. Life of Joseph Smith: The Prophet by George Q. Cannon

Other           
1. The Scorch Trials by James Dashner
2. Lincoln and His Boys by Rosemary Wells
3. The Naked Mole Rat Letters by Mary Amato *
4. The Boy Who Dared by Susan C. Bartoletti *
5. The Hundred Dresses by Eleanor Estes
6. Playing with Fire (Skulduggery #2) by Derek Landy
7. The Crimson Thread by Suzanne Weyn
8. The Incorrigible Children of Ashton Place: The Mysterious Howling by Maryrose Wood
9. The Frog Princess by E.D. Baker
10. Out of My Mind by Sharon Draper **

May Totals
Audio = 10
Juvenile = 10
YA = 8
Adult = 2
Pages = 5367
Books = 20
Points = 150