"And to this purpose"

"If people like to read their books, it is all very well, but to be at so much trouble in filling great volumes, which, as I used to think, nobody would willingly ever look into, to be labouring only for the torment of little boys and girls, always struck me as a hard fate; and though I know it is all very right and necessary, I have often wondered at the person's courage that could sit down on purpose to do it." (In other words: rambling analyses, opinions, ideas, views, and comments from an English major, Essay/paper-writing enthusiastic, Austen-loving Master Librarian on, well, Jane Austen...and a whole lot of other things, too.)

"Celebrated Passages are Quoted"

Heidi's favorite quotes


"What is it really like to be engaged?" asked Anne curiously. "Well, that all depends on who you're engaged to," answered Diana, with that maddening air of superior wisdom always assumed by those who are engaged over those who are not."— L.M. Montgomery

Friday, January 11, 2013

Final 2012 Totals

I can’t believe how much less I read this year! I often joke each year that I need to read less because I feel like I should be doing other things in life. Now I have proof that I am finally having a better social life and doing more besides reading. It makes me happy and sad at the same time. :-)


Differences this year: I have a group of friends that I love, and I do quite a bit with. I have a roommate to share Period Drama watching with. I try to attend 3 different wards’ activities. I went on 2 huge vacations that were so jam-packed of stuff, I barely had time to read! (Even bought a Nook for the purpose and it didn’t help.)

So, please: applaud me for reading less!!

Yearly Totals

Picture Books Goal: 250
Picture Books Actual: 251 (100%). Whew. Barely.

Audio Goal: 50
Audio Actual: 41 (82%). I blame this on the fact that I read 2 very long Dickens books, and 5 Dickens total—4 of them in audio!

Adult Goal: 20
Adult Actual: 28 (140%)

YA Goal: 40
YA Actual: 43 (108%) Wow. I really went down in my reading goals everywhere! I’m surprised I didn’t read more YA.

JF Goal: 40
JF Actual: 36 (90%) I think this is the first year I’ve tracked JF separate from JP, so I think I did well here. And I’m using this as an excuse for why I read less YA….

Nonfiction Goal: 20
Nonfiction Actual: 20 + 5 Juv titles that were less than 80 pages (125%)

Rereads: 5. Sort of. Two of those were the same book (The Book of Mormon) and one of those was a book I read ~1/2 of in college, but always wanted to finish so instead of picking up where I left off I started all the way over from the beginning. 500 of those pages were new to me!

10 books * 10 categories Goal: 100
10*10 Actual: 93 (93%). This challenge was so much harder than it seemed it would be. And I was 1 book away in 2 of the categories! Oh yes. It really should say 94. But I have recounted 3 times and cannot find where I am missing a book. Oh well.

Total Books Goal: 350
Total Books Actual: 359 (103%)

Pages Goal: 35,000
Pages Actual: 32,854 (94%) (Even though my goal was less, and I read less—I still completed the same % as last year!)


Points: 1076.1



A to Z Totals
(aka “Scrabble Challenge”)

Count Scrabble points for first letter of each title and author that I read. Bonus points for letters my names start with. (Not including picture books.)


Titles: 246
Letters not read: Q, X, Y, Z
Highest Scoring letter: H (30 points)

Authors: 210
Letters not read: N, Q, U, X, Z
Highest Scoring Letter: W (28 points)

Grand Total: 456

1 comment:

Sara Lyn said...

I love all your different challenges! Sometimes I think about joining you, but since my goal is to read less, too, well...

Congratulations for reading less this year! Way to be more social and do all those things that are almost as fun as reading, but probably important, too. :) Just kidding.

Mostly.

Anyway, I always LOVE hearing about the things you're reading!