"And to this purpose"

"If people like to read their books, it is all very well, but to be at so much trouble in filling great volumes, which, as I used to think, nobody would willingly ever look into, to be labouring only for the torment of little boys and girls, always struck me as a hard fate; and though I know it is all very right and necessary, I have often wondered at the person's courage that could sit down on purpose to do it." (In other words: rambling analyses, opinions, ideas, views, and comments from an English major, Essay/paper-writing enthusiastic, Austen-loving Master Librarian on, well, Jane Austen...and a whole lot of other things, too.)

"Celebrated Passages are Quoted"

Heidi's favorite quotes


"What is it really like to be engaged?" asked Anne curiously. "Well, that all depends on who you're engaged to," answered Diana, with that maddening air of superior wisdom always assumed by those who are engaged over those who are not."— L.M. Montgomery

Monday, August 3, 2009

P&P Movies this Month

Here's a (slightly edited) message from Brittany about this month's watching of P&P and the questions to go along with it:
We will be discussing the movie versions of Pride & Prejudice- please watch at least 3 from the following list. The starred versions will be specifically mentioned in the discussion. Most versions are available for rental through Blockbuster or Netflix and all versions can be purchased online at Amazon.com:

1940 starring Lawrence Olivier*

1980 BBC version

1995 A&E version starring Colin Firth*

2003 LDS version P&P: A Latter-day comedy"*

2004 Bride & Prejudice (Bollywood)

2005 starring Kiera Knightley*


The meeting will be held on Wednesday, August 19th at 7:00 pm. Also please note that because our baby is due in early October, this will until further notice, be the last meeting.
Yay for the baby! I'm so happy and excited for Brittany and Que. (Fellow readers can read about it from her blog, particularly in this entry. I love it!) So in lieu of the Baby Bookclub Silence, I'll come up with some other kinds of discussions that we can have. Well, enjoy watching movies. I even watched Bride & Prejudice - partly for this book club. I deserve some reward.

2 comments:

Meredith said...

Wait, you didn't like Bride and Prejudice? I love that movie. "No Life Without Wife" is my fav. song evah!!! Just kidding. But I did like that movie.

Que and Brittany's Adoption Journey said...

I SO still want to do questions for the rest of the books- maybe I will just continue making them up now. :p