"And to this purpose"

"If people like to read their books, it is all very well, but to be at so much trouble in filling great volumes, which, as I used to think, nobody would willingly ever look into, to be labouring only for the torment of little boys and girls, always struck me as a hard fate; and though I know it is all very right and necessary, I have often wondered at the person's courage that could sit down on purpose to do it." (In other words: rambling analyses, opinions, ideas, views, and comments from an English major, Essay/paper-writing enthusiastic, Austen-loving Master Librarian on, well, Jane Austen...and a whole lot of other things, too.)

"Celebrated Passages are Quoted"

Heidi's favorite quotes


"What is it really like to be engaged?" asked Anne curiously. "Well, that all depends on who you're engaged to," answered Diana, with that maddening air of superior wisdom always assumed by those who are engaged over those who are not."— L.M. Montgomery

Friday, December 24, 2010

Hunger Games Trilogy Answers - Part 1

Hunger Games

1. What do you think is the cruelest part of the Hunger Games?

I think the cruelest part is that citizens of Panem are required to watch as the kids hunt and kill each other.

2. Do you see any parallels between the Games and the society that condones them, and other related events and cultures in the history of the world?

You know, I did at the time I was reading the book. But now I cannot think of an exact example. Sorry! Anyone else??

3. What aspects of our popular culture (like Reality TV) do you see reflected in this story?

Well, as mentioned, Reality TV. How much is staged, how much is real—and how many people actually like to watch it?! ick.

There's also that whole glamorize to please an audience. Very Hollywood.

4. Do you think Katniss did the right thing to fight for the equipment?

Well, I thought it was quite helpful that she had something rather than nothing. But the fight to get there? It is hard for me to justify that. I can’t think of the word that describes this selfish, ravenous beast-like behavior that so many of the tributes switched over to, but it is something that is scary while also being repulsive and disgusting.

It makes me wonder how much of that behavior comes from the idea driven into them that they must survive. What would I do? The idea of harming let alone killing someone is so appalling. But would I really be so desperate to stay alive that I would hurt someone? Or would my pacifist tendencies result in me just allowing myself to be killed? The whole scenario is very thought-provoking for me, as far as wondering what I would do.

Some would say that this is a bit extreme to contemplate what I would do. Perhaps. But think on other situations that were real. Like Hurricane Katrina. How vastly different so many acted, and a lot of those actions were not Christlike in any way. When survival kicks in, who am I and what am I willing or unwilling to do?

5. When did you realize/believe that Peeta’s feelings for Katniss were real, and how did you feel about his feelings for her?

I thought Peeta’s feelings for Katniss were real from the moment he declared them. I thought it was believable that he could have admired her from a distance for so long—and the bread instance really stuck with me. The whole “playing to the audience’s sympathy” ploy didn’t deter me one bit. I figured Peeta just let Haymitch use his truth. Besides—it helped stretch out the story more!

I loved that he had those feelings, but got so mad at her for not really seeing him and those feelings for what they were. For taking him so for granted in many ways. Maybe because I was rather taken with him already and have a thing about wanting a guy to think of and feel for me as Peeta did for Katniss. Am I terrible and predictable and silly? Don’t answer—I know I am.

6 comments:

Meredith said...

1. What do you think is the cruelest part of the Hunger Games?

Definitely what you said: making the people of Panem watch and pretend to enjoy it. Totally sick.

2. Do you see any parallels between the Games and the society that condones them, and other related events and cultures in the history of the world?

Hmm, this isn't exactly the same, but it totally made me think of the Scarlet Pimpernel, when everyone is sitting around watching the heads get chopped. Way gross and sadistic, but people used it for entertainment.

3. What aspects of our popular culture (like Reality TV) do you see reflected in this story?

Definitely reality TV, but also just the amount of violence in our culture and how glamorized it is. True, most of our violence is fake violence, but it's still crazy how much people will tolerate.

4. Do you think Katniss did the right thing to fight for the equipment?

It obviously worked out, and she probably wouldn't have survived without fighting, but I'm not sure what I would have done either. Obviously, I would never want to kill anyone. But at the same time, I don't want to die either. Plus, there's the whole problem in the Hunger Games: these people don't want to kill you either, but they are being forced to. That would definitely make it harder for me to fight. Honestly, I probably would have just hidden until the gamemakers killed me off for being boring.

5. When did you realize/believe that Peeta’s feelings for Katniss were real, and how did you feel about his feelings for her?

I'm not sure when I realized that he actually loved her. Like Katniss, I had a hard time reading him at first, but I did have a big crush on him, so I hoped that his feelings were real. Love him, Katniss! He's so great!

ldsjaneite said...

#2 - Ooo, I think that is a great parallel!

#3 - I agree on the violence. I forgot when I was answering, but I did think about that as I was reading. I mean, how many people love watching violent movies. I always turn away, but so many love it. So what's to stop them from being like the Capital and loving the violence they see on screen.

#4 - good point about the others being forced to kill me/you as well. I like the plan of hiding out until the gamemakers kills me off for being boring!

#5 - Ah, Peeta.

Christina T said...

1. I think the cruelest part is making the kids fight each other

2. I saw parallels between that society and ancient Rome. A lot of the character names from the Capital are actually Roman names and it reminded me of how the Romans used to force gladiators to fight for their amusement and decide who lived and died.

3. While there is the reality TV angle with how much is staged I also saw a parallel to Hollywood because the citizens of the Capital are always trying to keep up with these crazy trends and their values are so off base from the rest of the country.

4. I think Katniss did the right thing because she was trying to survive the games not just for herself but for her family. It was different to the way the Careers were in my opinion.

5. I can't remember when I started to believe that Peeta's feelings were real. I do remember being shocked when it appeared that he had joined forces with the Careers. I loved the bread story. Throughout the first two books in the series I never really believed that Katniss loved him though which made me feel bad for him.

ldsjaneite said...

Christina-

Fabulous parallel with #2! I hadn't even thought that, but you are so right.

A good point with #4--she was nothing like the Careers.

Added Question A: Was it just me or did any of you sometimes wonder about the Careers. I mean, did you think all of them were all, um, crazy/scary/intent on killing? I'm not asking this right. Boiled down, I have a problem with stories who make people who are all good and people who are all bad. I like characters with more depth where the good make mistakes and/or the not-so-good still have redeeming qualities or actions. So, do you think the Careers were portrayed as "all bad" in this book, or did you think there may have been some goodness in them.

Added Question B: What do you think this story would have been like from someone else's perspective in the Games? Yes, I know most didn't survive, but do you wonder what elements we would have gotten getting to know some of the other tributes better and from their POVs.

Meredith said...

Interesting follow up questions.

I did wonder about the Careers. Obviously we just see them from Katniss's perspective, so we don't know much about them. The ones who volunteer because they actually want to be in the games I don't understand at all. That's just creepy. But wasn't Finnick (who we haven't met yet in book 1) a career? I think I remember his district often being part of the career pack. And he has all sorts of hidden depths! I have to admit, if you're going to be forced into the Games, I'd rather be a Career. They're healthier and better trained, so they have a better chance of surviving.

Katniss spends most of game prep consciously not getting to know the other tributes. Really, the only ones we know at all are her, Rue, and Peeta. If the book had been from someone else's perspective I think we definitely would have gotten insight into more characters. But it probably would have been more horrific, too, since we would have "known" more of the kids who were dying.

ldsjaneite said...

Yes. I'd like to be trained as a Career, but with the ethics of Peeta, Katniss, and Rue. My opinion of the Careers did change once I read Book #2.

And the part about being more horrific--absolutely. Especially if we had read the book from one of the more inhumane tributes.