"And to this purpose"

"If people like to read their books, it is all very well, but to be at so much trouble in filling great volumes, which, as I used to think, nobody would willingly ever look into, to be labouring only for the torment of little boys and girls, always struck me as a hard fate; and though I know it is all very right and necessary, I have often wondered at the person's courage that could sit down on purpose to do it." (In other words: rambling analyses, opinions, ideas, views, and comments from an English major, Essay/paper-writing enthusiastic, Austen-loving Master Librarian on, well, Jane Austen...and a whole lot of other things, too.)

"Celebrated Passages are Quoted"

Heidi's favorite quotes


"What is it really like to be engaged?" asked Anne curiously. "Well, that all depends on who you're engaged to," answered Diana, with that maddening air of superior wisdom always assumed by those who are engaged over those who are not."— L.M. Montgomery

Monday, February 28, 2011

February Book Challenges

Before I give you February's Book Challenge updates, let me just say that YES! I am still planning on finishing the Hunger Games trilogy in our AKB Book Club. I just need to be in the right frame of mind to answer the questions. If you've read the series, you may understand.

OK.


February

Read a book about an animal
1. The Black Stallion by Walter Farley - 10 points

Read two nonfiction books
1. A Girl Named Zippy by Haven Kimmel - 10 points
2. An American Plague by Jim Murphy- 10 points

Other
1. Diary of a Wimpy Kid: The Last Straw by Jeff Kinney - 5 points
2. The Work and the Glory: Like a Fire is Burning by Gerald Lund - 5 points
3. Diary of a Wimpy Kid: Dog Days by Jeff Kinney - 5 points
4. Diary of a Wimpy Kid: Do-It-Yourself Book by Jeff Kinney - 5 points
5. Stand Tall by Joan Bauer - 5 points
6. Diary of a Wimpy Kid: The Ugly Truth by Jeff Kinney - 5 points
7. The Work and the Glory: Truth Will Prevail by Gerald Lund - 5 points
8. Charlie and the Chocolate Factory by Roald Dahl - 5 points
9. Prom and Prejudice by Elizabeth Eulberg - 5 points
10. The Total Tragedy of a Girl Named Hamlet by Erin Dionne - 5 points
11. Close to Famous by Joan Bauer - 5 points
12. The Work & the Glory: Thy Gold to Refine by Gerald Lund - 5 points
12. Little Dorrit by Charles Dickens - 5 points

February Points = 90

There was another animal book that I was going to try, but I never got around to it. I'm just shocked by how many of these are print copies! (9!!) Maybe my curse is broken. Maybe.

And since it just hurts the heart to count such huge books (which I wasn't able to get around to throughout all of last year) for a mere 5 points, I have set a new goal for myself. I have a goal to read 25, 000 pages this year. 
By month, I'm counting pages of books finished in that month. SO, the goal won't be wholly accurate, since 400 of the 1,000ish pages of Little Dorrit were read last year. But if the majority is this year, I'll count it.
-In January, I read 1,820 pages
-In February, I read 5,345 pages (funny, considering it is the shortest month)

1 comment:

Sara Lyn said...

Okay. So I have 255 points altogether. And I thought I didn't have a lot of time to read this past month. I guess I didn't have a lot of time to read serious stuff. Mostly fluff. But the serious stuff I did read was very interesting and inspiring. I'm proud of you for getting back into print books! Yahoo! I've been trying to get into audio books, but it's just not the same to me. I need really entertaining, mindlessness for walking and I listen to books I could otherwise never get through in the car when I have to drive a lot, but otherwise, I'm just not an audio girl. To each his own. :)