"And to this purpose"

"If people like to read their books, it is all very well, but to be at so much trouble in filling great volumes, which, as I used to think, nobody would willingly ever look into, to be labouring only for the torment of little boys and girls, always struck me as a hard fate; and though I know it is all very right and necessary, I have often wondered at the person's courage that could sit down on purpose to do it." (In other words: rambling analyses, opinions, ideas, views, and comments from an English major, Essay/paper-writing enthusiastic, Austen-loving Master Librarian on, well, Jane Austen...and a whole lot of other things, too.)

"Celebrated Passages are Quoted"

Heidi's favorite quotes


"What is it really like to be engaged?" asked Anne curiously. "Well, that all depends on who you're engaged to," answered Diana, with that maddening air of superior wisdom always assumed by those who are engaged over those who are not."— L.M. Montgomery

Friday, February 15, 2013

Before there was Josh Parts 2 & 3

#2: My next love in singing was Cleveland Lynch. Cleveland--wherever you are, I still miss hearing you sing. 

#3: After him came Dallyn Vail Bayles, though I didn't realize who he was until a couple of years ago. See, as a sophomore at BYU, I was blessed to go see The Light of the World. It was a production specifically put on during the Winter Olympics in Salt Lake City. It was very touching and I wished I could see it again. What I remembered the most was how much I loved the main male singer's voice. He played the part of Alma Richards. And I had no idea who he was.

In 2008, during a very difficult time, I discovered the song "My Kindness Shall Not Depart from Thee." I downloaded the choir and solo version. And the solo version, according to my iPod screen, was sung by a Dallyn Vail Bayles. For years it was the song that touched me most. But at one point I was able to see that I loved his voice, too. It still touches me today. I believe it always will. How could it not?



A couple of years ago, I woke up to my iPod as usual. I recognized that the song was one I had downloaded from the Light of the World soundtrack. A song with Alma Richards singing, because I had loved his voice so much. As I lay there, it dawned on me: I had heard that voice somewhere else! I thought and thought, and then connected. It was Dallyn Vail Bayles! I had "found" my Alma Richards!

Since then. I have become an avid fan. I looked up all I could to see what else he had performed in, as actor or singer. Good thing he was pretty "common" in LDS stuff. He's played Hyrum Smith in "Joseph Smith: The Prophet of the Restoration" as well as been in some of the Liken the Scriptures movies. 

I have not been as avid a fan as I could be, seeing as I've not purchased any of his CDs and such. But I still love his music, and his voice.
  So here he is singing one of my most favorite songs ever. I sang it on my own CD, but could never do it the justice that he does.

No comments: