"And to this purpose"

"If people like to read their books, it is all very well, but to be at so much trouble in filling great volumes, which, as I used to think, nobody would willingly ever look into, to be labouring only for the torment of little boys and girls, always struck me as a hard fate; and though I know it is all very right and necessary, I have often wondered at the person's courage that could sit down on purpose to do it." (In other words: rambling analyses, opinions, ideas, views, and comments from an English major, Essay/paper-writing enthusiastic, Austen-loving Master Librarian on, well, Jane Austen...and a whole lot of other things, too.)

"Celebrated Passages are Quoted"

Heidi's favorite quotes


"What is it really like to be engaged?" asked Anne curiously. "Well, that all depends on who you're engaged to," answered Diana, with that maddening air of superior wisdom always assumed by those who are engaged over those who are not."— L.M. Montgomery

Tuesday, March 15, 2011

All together now


Hunger Games Trilogy

1. How is the society of Panem like others you have seen in movies or read in books?
In my GoodReads review, I commented that the book "was a unique mix of 'The Lottery' (which I love) + 'The Most Dangerous Game' + 'Lord of the Flies' + '1984' with even a little 'Truman Show.'" Panem was a lot like the society in 1984. Confinement to social status and employment. Being watched (though not to an extreme until they were in the Games). Some bigger power crushing the people and their wills and right to freedom. Hmmm...that last bit is starting to sound like....our own government. And some others in this world. I know for many this story being like unto our world is a stretch. But to me, it was not. Too many similarities, often symbolic. I don’t know if Collins meant to write that, but it’s what I saw. And it’s one of the main reasons this trilogy got to me as much as it did. (Which is rare, because I don’t look for the political when I’m reading fiction. I’m trying to escape it!!)

2. How did you feel about Katniss’ self-image throughout the trilogy?
Well, she’s like a teenager in being unsure and faltering and being human. But there were a few times that I wanted to shake her to see that she had great qualities and needed to see them and accept them. Huh—I wonder how many people want to do that concerning me. So, yes, her self-image issues were annoying. But they were also a smack toward me to stop being that way myself!

3. Overall thoughts and feelings about the actions and directions Katniss’ relationships were with the competing males?
Thought #1: Stop taking wonderful Peeta for granted!
Thought #2: Leave poor Gale alone!
Thought #3: You’re botching it all up! Leave the story and let me step in so I can treat Peeta the way he deserves.

4. What would you have done the same or differently as various characters in the books? (Pick whatever character and situations you want to discuss here.)
Inside the games, I leave Katniss to her own choices and actions. She did well there and I would never have succeeded. But outside of it, that’s a very different story. I think I would have changed most of what she did or didn’t do. But that’s me, and I’m also the outsider looking in. Of course I would think/want my choices and actions would/to be different!

If I were Peeta, I might have been less timid in the beginning to let Katniss know these were my true feelings. But then, he didn’t realize until later that she really wasn’t getting it. And it wouldn’t be like Peeta to be that way.

If I were Gale, I’d just walk away from the Katniss thing. But that’s because I thought it was obvious he didn’t stand a chance—Peeta or no. It wouldn’t have worked once Katniss endured the first games, because he didn’t know how to understand and she didn’t know how to communicate about it. Sure that’s something that could be learned, but I don’t think she was very willing for that.

5. Favorite part(s)?
Loved seeing the tributes work together in the 2nd games. Anything where Peeta showed his feelings and concern for Katniss. (Though I have my errr about the sleeping parts.) And as awful and even gory as it was, I liked it when they were trying to infiltrate the capital in Book 3. The fragility of life and their situation and everything was so real. So well-written.

6. Least favorite part(s)?
Katniss taking Peeta for granted. Anything with Coin or Snow—I didn’t like either of them. 

3 comments:

Meredith said...

1. How is the society of Panem like others you have seen in movies or read in books?
I hadn't thought of the Lottery or the Most Dangerous Game, but I totally see similaries. I've never read 1984 (shame!). I know there's something else it reminded me of, but I can't for the life of me remember it!

2. How did you feel about Katniss’ self-image throughout the trilogy?
It's interesting how differently she sees herself compared to how everyone else sees her. I wondered about myself through her as well. I know that I often see myself a certain way but other people see me differently. I don't know how much of that is me being too hard on myself or me puffing myself up too much.

3. Overall thoughts and feelings about the actions and directions Katniss’ relationships were with the competing males?
First of all, your answer made me laugh. Second of all, I did really wish she would realize that she loved Peeta earlier on. Mostly because I felt bad that she kept giving Gale false hope. Also because Peeta really has no one except her. It's just so sad! But if she decided to leave them all for Finnick, I wouldn't judge her.

4. What would you have done the same or differently as various characters in the books? (Pick whatever character and situations you want to discuss here.)
I agree with you about the games. I sure I would have been killed off really early on, so I can't say what I would have done. Here's who I'm picking: Haymitch. Stop lying to Katniss and Peeta! Also, Katniss, stop lying to Peeta! He's smart, and he could totally help you!!!! There's a lot of lying in these books (some very understandable and justifiable, and some totally crazy), and it drives me nuts. Honesty is a good idea, people!

5. Favorite part(s)?
Ditto on seeing the tributes working together. Honestly, anything with Finnick is a favorite part. Also anything with Cinna. Love them! Every time Katniss shows real love/concern for Peeta, even if she doesn't realize it. Buttercup!!!

6. Least favorite part(s)?
Poor Finnick! Poor Annie! No Cinna in book 3. The part where Cato is eaten by the muttations (that was gross). Finnick, Finnick, and more Finnick. I see why she killed him. I even thought it was well done. But it made me so sad!!! Come back, Finnick!!! I love you!

ldsjaneite said...

Hmmm, I'm starting to pick up that you like Finnick. :-) He was pretty awesome stuff. I often have to stop being so Elizabeth Bennet and having my first impression of him sway me away from him.

Wonderful point about honesty. I completely agree, for this life and for the Panem world!

I felt with Cinna that I lost someone before I could really know him. It took me so long to accept that he was really gone. But it's interesting. Something with the audio versions kept characters a bit distant for me. It was not until the 3rd book (which I read the print instead of audio) that I really grew closer to other characters. Thus, I still feel a slight disconnect with Cinna. I think I'm going to have to re-read the trilogy all in print and see if there is a difference for me.

And yeah, Cato being eaten was gross.

Sara Lyn said...

Impatient to read about your March challenge!!! :)