"And to this purpose"

"If people like to read their books, it is all very well, but to be at so much trouble in filling great volumes, which, as I used to think, nobody would willingly ever look into, to be labouring only for the torment of little boys and girls, always struck me as a hard fate; and though I know it is all very right and necessary, I have often wondered at the person's courage that could sit down on purpose to do it." (In other words: rambling analyses, opinions, ideas, views, and comments from an English major, Essay/paper-writing enthusiastic, Austen-loving Master Librarian on, well, Jane Austen...and a whole lot of other things, too.)

"Celebrated Passages are Quoted"

Heidi's favorite quotes


"What is it really like to be engaged?" asked Anne curiously. "Well, that all depends on who you're engaged to," answered Diana, with that maddening air of superior wisdom always assumed by those who are engaged over those who are not."— L.M. Montgomery

Friday, July 10, 2015

Sound of America memories

This month marks 15 years of one of the greatest experiences of my life: my European tour! I am overcome with nostalgia. I've started posting on Facebook my memories, but realized I should probably put it on my blog--one of my more "permanent" places of reminiscing.

So, to catch up. Yesterday's post:
15 years ago - my first taste of Europe. Rothenburg ob der Tauber. Eating sauerkraut, bratwurst, and mashed potatoes for dinner. Having meat, cheese, and chocolate corn flakes for breakfast. Seeing the biggest snail of my life. Figuring out German money. First concert--on the cobblestone square! Buying a cuckoo clock which now hangs in my own home. Hearing the cathedral bells ring out over the town. ‪#‎SoundOfAmerica‬ ‪#‎Memories‬


Natalie Spring This made my day! Wish I could go back and do it all again. Of course with my good friend Heidi of the Alps. "Grandfather! Grandfather!"

Heidi-Marie Tice Natalie - me, too! That was one of the best months ever. And you were the best travel buddy. I'm in major nostalgia for SOA, so be on the look out for more Remembrance posts! smile emoticon

Rothenburg concert:


Today's first post:
15 years ago - Salzburg! Taking a ride in the Salt Mines beforehand (from which I still have my mini salt shaker). Feeling very sick and helpless because I couldn't find a Priesthood holder for a blessing. Visiting and singing around the Sound of Music sites. Buying my 1st music box (which a niece now has). Tasting Fanta for the 1st time and getting REALLY hyper after (something in that stuff....). Visiting my 1st Castle and my 2nd cathedral. (Almost) Eating the most disgusting seafood salad with whole octopi and seahorses in it--and thus totally losing my appetite the rest of the evening, even when the Beer Hall (in Inzell) where we performed gave us a free meal. ‪#‎SoundOfAmerica‬‪#‎Memories‬

Concert at Inzell. (Go to 2:50 to see the totally irreverent song, and thus a favorite of our repertoire.)

(Go to 2:50 to see the totally irreverent song, and thus a favorite of our repertoire.)

Today's second post:
15 years ago - Driving through the Alps, Part 1! Going on my first (and so far only) Alpine Slide--and watching Nate go flying over 3 people. Trying to hike to a lookout point at Grossglockner Pass and not being able to make it because of lack of oxygen, but later receiving flower bouquets from Kyle and Jason for trying. Experiencing my car sickness for the first time, just after we crossed into Italy and started heading down in elevation. Having my first Italian meal with the largest plate of spaghetti I've ever seen--and it was the appetizer!‪#‎SoundOfAmerica‬ ‪#‎Memories‬

No comments: