"And to this purpose"

"If people like to read their books, it is all very well, but to be at so much trouble in filling great volumes, which, as I used to think, nobody would willingly ever look into, to be labouring only for the torment of little boys and girls, always struck me as a hard fate; and though I know it is all very right and necessary, I have often wondered at the person's courage that could sit down on purpose to do it." (In other words: rambling analyses, opinions, ideas, views, and comments from an English major, Essay/paper-writing enthusiastic, Austen-loving Master Librarian on, well, Jane Austen...and a whole lot of other things, too.)

"Celebrated Passages are Quoted"

Heidi's favorite quotes


"What is it really like to be engaged?" asked Anne curiously. "Well, that all depends on who you're engaged to," answered Diana, with that maddening air of superior wisdom always assumed by those who are engaged over those who are not."— L.M. Montgomery

Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Banned Books Polls Results

Finally I think it is safe to say that my illness is over, though I've been so tired from it! Worn out and exhausted, even while being emotionally/spiritually/mentally filled at the recent Time Out for Women I was able to attend. (Amazing!) But I am back and hopefully with more consistency than the last few weeks. Here are our poll results for the Banned Books polls.

First, Favorite Banned Classics (from the Top 100 list). We had 4 voters. And we'd been doing so well on the two previous polls. *sigh*

1984 by George Orwell 0 (0%)
The Color Purple by Alice Walker 0 (0%)
A Farewell to Arms by Ernest Hemingway 0 (0%)
Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell 0 (0%)
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest by Ken Kesey 0 (0%)
Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier 1 (25%)
A Separate Peace by John Knowles 1 (25%)
To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee 3 (75%)
The Wind in the Willows by Kenneth Grahame 0 (0%)
Winnie-the-Pooh by A. A. Milne 2 (50%)

No unanimous voting, though To Kill a Mockingbird is the obvious winner. No arguments from me on that!

Then we had Favorite Banned Books from 1990-1999 (from Top 100 list). Funny, on this one we had only 3 voters. Less and less. I really should come up with some better ideas. "Or more cooks." (Name that quote!)

Alice (Series) by Phyllis Reynolds Naylor 0 (0%)
Annie on my Mind by Nancy Garden 0 (0%)
Bridge to Terabithia by Katherine Paterson 2 (66%)
The Chocolate War by Robert Cormier 0 (0%)
The Color Purple by Alice Walker 0 (0%)
Daddy's Roommate by Michael Willhoite 0 (0%)
Scary Stories (Series) by Alvin Schwartz 1 (33%)
The Giver by Lois Lowry 3 (100%)
The Great Gilly Hopkins by Katherine Paterson 0 (0%)
Harry Potter (Series) by J.K. Rowling 3 (100%)
Heather Has Two Mommies by Leslea Newman 0 (0%)
In the Night Kitchen by Maurice Sendak 0 (0%)
James and the Giant Peach by Roald Dahl 1 (33%)
Julie of the Wolves by Jean Craighead George 1 (33%)
A Light in the Attic by Shel Silverstein 0 (0%)
The Outsiders by S.E. Hinton 1 (33%)
The Stupids (Series) by Harry Allard 1 (33%)
Summer of My German Soldier by Bette Greene 2 (66%)
To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee 2 (66%)
Where's Waldo? by Martin Hanford 1 (33%)
A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle 3 (100%)

Well, at least we are unanimous on three fantastic books that I wholly sanction (obviously since a third of the winners' votes are mine!): A Wrinkle in Time, The Giver, and the Harry Potter series. All excellent books. Each discovered at different stages of my life. I'm so glad there are blog readers who defy others by reading what they say we shouldn't. Ha ha! Power to us!

3 comments:

Serene is my name, not my life! said...

Ummm... does it say something about my literary sense why I say that I have no idea what a banned book list is?

Serene is my name, not my life! said...

Nevermond. I just went over some of your previous posts.

I suddenly feel smarter! =)

Sara Lyn said...

Sorry I didn't vote. I just got on your blog today and noticed that I missed it! Was that up last week when I read your last post? Oh, well. So here's my votes:

From the first list, put me down for Pooh. Either haven't read or hated the rest.

From the second list, I liked The Giver (like everyone else) and Harry Potter (duh). I read some of the others, but I wouldn't read them again probably. We'll put them toward I better know what I dislike because I read them. :)