"And to this purpose"

"If people like to read their books, it is all very well, but to be at so much trouble in filling great volumes, which, as I used to think, nobody would willingly ever look into, to be labouring only for the torment of little boys and girls, always struck me as a hard fate; and though I know it is all very right and necessary, I have often wondered at the person's courage that could sit down on purpose to do it." (In other words: rambling analyses, opinions, ideas, views, and comments from an English major, Essay/paper-writing enthusiastic, Austen-loving Master Librarian on, well, Jane Austen...and a whole lot of other things, too.)

"Celebrated Passages are Quoted"

Heidi's favorite quotes


"What is it really like to be engaged?" asked Anne curiously. "Well, that all depends on who you're engaged to," answered Diana, with that maddening air of superior wisdom always assumed by those who are engaged over those who are not."— L.M. Montgomery

Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Blue Castle Questions, Part 8

“You’re—a good actor, Barney.”

What do you think of Barney’s “confession” scene?


I love reading that. I read it over and over. Well, OK. I might skip a little on the whole Ehtel story--though I do feel like kissing him, too, when he's confessing that sorrowful past. My favorite of that favorite part is near the end when he has confessed and Valancy still can't believe he feels anything but pity for her. I feel like shaking Valancy myself because she can't see how much Barney loves her. But I also completely understand her because I have a hard time believing anyone loves me, and I myself would need to know with absolute surety from my beloved that he loved me. I did find that one swear word (the only one in the whole book!) to be utterly unnecessary. We could have seen his anger, frustration, and disappointment just as fine without it.

Valancy smiled through her tears. She was so happy that her happiness terrified her.

The Blue Castle is supposed to have a far-fetched and unnatural conclusion. Do you think L. M. Montgomery used this twist to give the reader what they wanted from the story? Did the ending detract from the story itself?


Far-fetched? Whatever. I don't think so. I mean, I don't think she created this hard-to-believe ending just to make the readers happy. And if that was the technique she was using, she uses it quite a bit in her short stories! "The Girl in the Photograph" anyone? (Oh--I love that short story!) I think the ending made it just as wonderful as the rest of the book. I love the ending. I felt it was a little rushed and I was so sad to be leaving them, never to return in a sequel but only in my imaginings.

No comments: