The Brambler's Answers
EC1. Who were your favorite characters?
Favorite characters are Uncle Alec, Phebe and Mac.
2. What morals did you agree with? Disagree with?
I don't have the book in front of me, but I mostly really liked what Uncle Alec tried to teach Rose. Good health is eating well and exercising and not being self-indulgent. Serve others. Having advantages means responsibility. Etc...
3. If you were Rose, how would you have reacted to the cousins?
I think I would have responded similarly to Rose when confronted with the cousins. At first, shyness, but when getting to know them, such fun to be had!
4. How would you have felt if you were Phebe and Rose asked to adopt you?
I'm not sure. With Phebe's pride (which is what got her through what she went through), I was a little surprised she didn't feel patronized at Rose's offer. But I suppose she was starved for love, so she was able to take Rose's offer as it was given.
5. What did you think of Uncle Alec?
I LOVE Uncle Alec. A wise and wonderful man who sacrificed a lot for his nieces and nephews.
6. What is your favorite part of the book?
Too hard to choose without the book in front of me. Loved so much about it. Especially when all the cousins are together.
RiB1. Who were your favorite characters?
Mac and Aunt Jessie and Archie and Uncle Alec.
2. After your first taste of "society," would you have been able to easily give it up?
I'm not sure how I would have reacted to "society." It sounds so fun and romantic, yet exhausting. And I don't know that I would like the reality. Doesn't sound like one would really feel good with that lifestyle.
3. Did the characters grow up like you expected them to?
I read this book when I was pretty young, so they just are who they are in my mind.
4. What is your favorite part of the book?
When Mac drops by to visit Rose "among the haycocks." Delightful visit. So friendly and fun.
5. Did anything make you swoon? :)
Mac makes me swoon. I rooted for him from the first book.
6. Would Charlie have shaped up if Rose had given in to him?
I think he would have remained weak. I agree with I think it was Uncle Alec that years of indulgence might have spoiled him. Which was too bad. He was working on it and I think making progress, but I think if Rose had done what he wanted, he would have lost his momentum.