"And to this purpose"

"If people like to read their books, it is all very well, but to be at so much trouble in filling great volumes, which, as I used to think, nobody would willingly ever look into, to be labouring only for the torment of little boys and girls, always struck me as a hard fate; and though I know it is all very right and necessary, I have often wondered at the person's courage that could sit down on purpose to do it." (In other words: rambling analyses, opinions, ideas, views, and comments from an English major, Essay/paper-writing enthusiastic, Austen-loving Master Librarian on, well, Jane Austen...and a whole lot of other things, too.)

"Celebrated Passages are Quoted"

Heidi's favorite quotes


"What is it really like to be engaged?" asked Anne curiously. "Well, that all depends on who you're engaged to," answered Diana, with that maddening air of superior wisdom always assumed by those who are engaged over those who are not."— L.M. Montgomery

Monday, June 21, 2010

Goose, Part 1

Just to warn/prepare you: Answering these might take just a little longer since Summer Reading begins today and I don't know how easy daily will be. We'll see. But wish me luck--I am so nervous!!!!

1. What were your impressions of Ani/Isi in the first few chapters? Did you relate to her in any way?

In the first few chapters, I didn't like Ani very much. Maybe one or two small things, but overall, not really. I had thought at first that it was interesting Hale used her as a main character. She seemed too weak. Too self-doubting with too much room to grow to become a character I would really enjoy and want to emulate. But I should never have doubted Hale, because she did just that. And by the end of the book, Ani/Isi had become one of my favorite literary characters. I love her! It surprises me sometimes how much I love her. But then, I wonder if it wasn't just Ani that needed the self discovery, but that we needed to learn who she was, too. Isn't that how it is with people in general? We should get to know them better before we make judgements?

I think one reason I didn't like her so much would be that I could relate to her in some ways, and they were exactly the ways I didn't want to. So finding her overcome those obstacles, fears, and weaknesses was even more rewarding and uplifting for me.

So, in the first few chapters, no. But as Ani became Isi, yes, I loved her.

2. Did you have suspicions about Selia before the trip began?

Well, I knew something was supposed to happen to cause Isi to become a goose girl. (I mean, it's the title of the book. And it's in the book description!) And I knew I didn't trust Selia. But I had no clue the part Selia would play. Especially as the book progressed. That was one well-written villainess.

2 comments:

Meredith said...

I'm so excited to get started! Okay, here are my thoughts so far.

1. I remember feeling bad for Ani when the book started, but I didn't really identify with her. She didn't really do anything. Everything that happens to her is because of someone else. So I guess I can identify with that, in a way. Sometimes I totally feel like I have no control of my life. But I agree, she becomes so awesome during the course of the book. I totally love her by the end.

2. I honestly don't remember what I initially thought about Selia the first time I read the book. Reading it again, she definitely strikes me as not the nicest person in the world, but I'm sure I didn't guess she would turn out to be quite so evil! Definitely a great book villain-super creepy and super believable.

ldsjaneite said...

1. Good point about everything happening to her is because of someone else. I feel that way sometimes, too!

2. Well said: "super creepy and super believable."