"And to this purpose"

"If people like to read their books, it is all very well, but to be at so much trouble in filling great volumes, which, as I used to think, nobody would willingly ever look into, to be labouring only for the torment of little boys and girls, always struck me as a hard fate; and though I know it is all very right and necessary, I have often wondered at the person's courage that could sit down on purpose to do it." (In other words: rambling analyses, opinions, ideas, views, and comments from an English major, Essay/paper-writing enthusiastic, Austen-loving Master Librarian on, well, Jane Austen...and a whole lot of other things, too.)

"Celebrated Passages are Quoted"

Heidi's favorite quotes


"What is it really like to be engaged?" asked Anne curiously. "Well, that all depends on who you're engaged to," answered Diana, with that maddening air of superior wisdom always assumed by those who are engaged over those who are not."— L.M. Montgomery

Wednesday, December 23, 2009

2009 Support Your Local Library Challenge

J. Kaye also hosted the 2009 Support Your Local Library Challenge, with laste date to join being Dec. 31st. The basic summary of levels:

** The first is to read 12 books from your local library in 2009.
** The second is to read 25 books from your local library in 2009.
** The third is to read 50 books from your local library in 2009.

Any category, format, audience, and age counted.

So, is it considered an unfair advantage since I work at my local library? Hmmm…. Well, there are some people who are at the library as much as I am. And many are older and they aren’t working full-time which means they have more time to read the books they check out. OK. I won’t feel bad. I knew immediately I could go for the 3rd level. (By the way, I counted books that I already owned but which I re-read in a format that I had to check out from the library.)

I read…


248!

141 of those were picture books. See 2009 Book Challenge to see what the other 101 books were, plus the few that I got from other libraries as well as my own. Reviews for all of them can be found on my GoodReads account. If you are not a member, I highly recommend you becoming one!

No comments: