"And to this purpose"

"If people like to read their books, it is all very well, but to be at so much trouble in filling great volumes, which, as I used to think, nobody would willingly ever look into, to be labouring only for the torment of little boys and girls, always struck me as a hard fate; and though I know it is all very right and necessary, I have often wondered at the person's courage that could sit down on purpose to do it." (In other words: rambling analyses, opinions, ideas, views, and comments from an English major, Essay/paper-writing enthusiastic, Austen-loving Master Librarian on, well, Jane Austen...and a whole lot of other things, too.)

"Celebrated Passages are Quoted"

Heidi's favorite quotes


"What is it really like to be engaged?" asked Anne curiously. "Well, that all depends on who you're engaged to," answered Diana, with that maddening air of superior wisdom always assumed by those who are engaged over those who are not."— L.M. Montgomery

Thursday, December 24, 2009

Christmas with Jane - 11, 12, 13, & 14.

"Luckily the visit happened in the Christmas holidays"
-Mansfield Park

Yes, yes. I am lucky beyond anything that my visit to (one of) my childhood home(s) is taking place over the Christmas holidays. The time when I most want to be with family. And I get to be this year. Happy, happy day. Happy, happy week! Happy, happy life!!!

May I wish you these sentiments

"I sincerely hope your Christmas in [insert place here] may abound in the gaieties which that season generally brings..."
– Caroline Bingley, Pride and Prejudice

And perhaps wish me the rest... :-)

"...and that your beaux will be so numerous as to prevent your feeling the loss of the three of whom we shall deprive you."
-Caroline Bingley, Pride and Prejudice

Ha ha. But seriously.

"You are all to come [home] at Christmas."
– Lizzie, Pride and Prejudice

Thank you, Lizzie. I will. Off I go.

Have a most wonderful Christmas, fellow readers, Janeites, and friends!

Thank you for helping make this an excellent year for me, and bringing me joy and happiness. May each of you find it in your lives this Christmas season and all the year long.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you and a Merry Christmas to you and yours as well.