"And to this purpose"

"If people like to read their books, it is all very well, but to be at so much trouble in filling great volumes, which, as I used to think, nobody would willingly ever look into, to be labouring only for the torment of little boys and girls, always struck me as a hard fate; and though I know it is all very right and necessary, I have often wondered at the person's courage that could sit down on purpose to do it." (In other words: rambling analyses, opinions, ideas, views, and comments from an English major, Essay/paper-writing enthusiastic, Austen-loving Master Librarian on, well, Jane Austen...and a whole lot of other things, too.)

"Celebrated Passages are Quoted"

Heidi's favorite quotes


"What is it really like to be engaged?" asked Anne curiously. "Well, that all depends on who you're engaged to," answered Diana, with that maddening air of superior wisdom always assumed by those who are engaged over those who are not."— L.M. Montgomery

Sunday, May 16, 2010

Austen Heroine Quizzes

All right. It's time this Austen blog did something Austen again. Been a little too long since then, wouldn't you agree. I noticed this on Enchanted Serenity, so I took the quiz to see my results.

I am Anne Elliot!


Take the Quiz here!

Further description:

You are Anne Elliot of Persuasion! Let's face it; you're easily persuaded, particularly when friends and relatives try to use "the Elliot way" against you. But this doesn't mean that you don't have conviction. Actually, your sense of duty is overwhelming. And though you won't stick your neck out too often, you have learned to speak up when it counts. To boot, you know how to handle sticky situations. You love deeply and constantly.

I love Anne. And Persuasion is my favorite Austen novel. And there are connections I definitely make with Anne. But easily persuaded? Am I? I've never really thought if I am or not. Now some of those questions I could see it was heading toward Anne. But there were a couple that I was a bit back and forth on. So I went back and changed them and got

I am Marianne Dashwood!


Take the Quiz here!

You are Marianne Dashwood of Sense & Sensibility! You are impulsive, romantic, impatient, and perhaps a bit too brutally honest. You enjoy romantic poetry and novels, and play the pianoforte beautifully. To boot, your singing voice is captivating. You feel deeply, and love passionately.

What? Not her!!!! Oi. Then I think that these can be hard to answer for myself, because I don't see me as others do. And I'm curious if the results change if others answer.

So what do you think of me?

And, even more fun, what did you get for yourself?


And out of curiosity, I found another Austen quiz that was much longer and a bit more interesting. The results were, well, surprising:

You Scored as Elinor Dashwood

As Marianne's older sister, Elinor lives at the other end of the emotional spectrum. She rarely reveals her intense feelings and is more concerned with being honest and loyal than having what she deserves. Even though her intentions are pure, she sets herself up for loss by constantly placing other people before her own needs. Overall, Elinor is gentle and rational but is just as capable of radical emotions (despite her withholding them) as her sister.

Elinor Dashwood
72%
Jane Bennet
66%
Elizabeth Bennet
59%
Emma Woodhouse
53%
Marianne Dashwood
50%
Charlotte Lucas
41%
Lady Catherine
19%

19% Lady Catherine?! I'd like to take offense as that!

What about you?

4 comments:

Sara Lyn said...

The first quiz said Elinor Dashwood. The second one kept telling me I hadn't answered all the questions. Hmm...

I've been trying to think of which Jane Austen character I most see you as and honestly I can't think of one. I see parts of you in several of the characters. I actually can see the Marianne in you. And a bit of Elinor. Not to mention some Anne.

ldsjaneite said...

I, too, see some Marianne in me. Unfortunately.

I can see Elinor for some of you.

Meredith said...

I got Elizabeth Bennett on the first one and Elinor Dashwood on the 2nd. Truthfully, I can kind of see both. Good times.

ldsjaneite said...

Meredith--I can see that, too!

It seems a bit of Elinor is in all of us. If I can have an Edward like the one in the newest movie--I'm totally fine with that! :-)