"And to this purpose"

"If people like to read their books, it is all very well, but to be at so much trouble in filling great volumes, which, as I used to think, nobody would willingly ever look into, to be labouring only for the torment of little boys and girls, always struck me as a hard fate; and though I know it is all very right and necessary, I have often wondered at the person's courage that could sit down on purpose to do it." (In other words: rambling analyses, opinions, ideas, views, and comments from an English major, Essay/paper-writing enthusiastic, Austen-loving Master Librarian on, well, Jane Austen...and a whole lot of other things, too.)

"Celebrated Passages are Quoted"

Heidi's favorite quotes


"What is it really like to be engaged?" asked Anne curiously. "Well, that all depends on who you're engaged to," answered Diana, with that maddening air of superior wisdom always assumed by those who are engaged over those who are not."— L.M. Montgomery

Friday, May 14, 2010

Tuck Answers, Part 5

  1. Have you seen the movie? What were your impressions of the adaptation?
I have seen the movie. I owned it for a time. As a stand-alone movie, I really liked it. It seemed so magical and yet still conveyed the importance that one should not "go against nature." Ben Kingsley did very well as the yellow suit guy. Cissy Spacek was a good Ma Tuck. I'm not the biggest fan of William Hurt in anything, but he was alright as Pa Tuck. I wouldn't have many problems with Alexis Bledel in the movie, if she could just learn to have better posture and close her mouth once in a while. (Kristin Stewart, anyone?) I loved her white dress, though. :-)

Compare it to the book? Oh my word. Winnie was, what, 11? Jesse showed off, yes. Jesse had interest, yes. But only of who she would be in about 5 or 6 year. There was none of...what was happening in the movie going on. It made the book much more innocent and simply a young girl learning the importance of having a life rather than adding the romantic element into it. Of course, that romantic element which is in the movie does make Winnie's decision all the harder.

  1. Did you relate to Winnie?
I can't remember her well enough from the book to know if I do. I think parts of me does. I'd have to re-read to know for sure. Same goes with the movie--parts of me relate to Winnie. Other parts, not really.

No comments: