"And to this purpose"

"If people like to read their books, it is all very well, but to be at so much trouble in filling great volumes, which, as I used to think, nobody would willingly ever look into, to be labouring only for the torment of little boys and girls, always struck me as a hard fate; and though I know it is all very right and necessary, I have often wondered at the person's courage that could sit down on purpose to do it." (In other words: rambling analyses, opinions, ideas, views, and comments from an English major, Essay/paper-writing enthusiastic, Austen-loving Master Librarian on, well, Jane Austen...and a whole lot of other things, too.)

"Celebrated Passages are Quoted"

Heidi's favorite quotes


"What is it really like to be engaged?" asked Anne curiously. "Well, that all depends on who you're engaged to," answered Diana, with that maddening air of superior wisdom always assumed by those who are engaged over those who are not."— L.M. Montgomery

Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Tuck Answers, Part 3

  1. Have you ever been homesick? How did you feel? Would you have considered Winnie was homesick?
I have most definitely been homesick! In fact, right now I am in a neverending state of homesickness. When one does not know where home is, and/or what to call home, it is hard to feel at home somewhere. You long for what "used to be" or "how things were," but you know they are no longer and can never be again. As Belle in the musical says, "Home should be where the heart is. Never a word so true. My heart's far, far away. Home is, too." Why? Because this isn't my home. This is not where I want to settle and establish myself. "Bloom were ye are planted" yes, but even if that place brings so much heartache? Even when it is so far from family? Even when it is just....hard? The answer to that is "yes" because this is where the Lord currently wants me. So my responsibility is make this place my home and find that homesickness ebb away. Of course, it won't all go away. I believe a tiny part will always stay within for the home that my parents created and raised me in.

As for Winnie? I really didn't think she was homesick for the home she lived in. I think her heart was also far, far away and that when she was with the Tucks, she finally found a place that felt like home. Maybe learning what was missing in her technical home, she knew what to apply and work on to make it her actual home. I guess that's what I'm supposed to be doing, too.

  1. Do you find the characters likable? Would you want to meet the characters?
I did like the characters. Loved the Tucks, anyhow. And I would love to meet them. There are so many things I'd like to ask them. I don't want to live forever in this life myself, but I am quite intrigued by all of the things they have observed and experienced. Just think how much knowledge one can gain! I guess perhaps I'll get a chance like that when I hopefully some day meet with John and/or The Three Nephites.

No comments: